Sinamandla was formed in October 2007 and is registered with the Department of Social Development as a not-for-profit organisation (NPO 062570) and also a public benefit organisation (PBO 930029029).
Sinamandla assists, capacitates and supports local South African non-profit and community-based organisations to promote self-reliance as a central concept within development networks and practices in local communities.
Strategic Objectives of Sinamandla include:
Socially and economically empowered women within households made vulnerable by poverty, the impact of HIV and AIDS, gender inequalities and other societal injustices.
- Increased broad awareness and promotion of self reliance as a concept within South Africa;
- Improved capacity and strengthened SHG projects within local partner organisations that promote self reliance including mainstreaming of gender, HIV and AIDS, and child participation;
- Increased resource mobilisation to support SHG projects of local partner organisations;
- Strengthened monitoring and evaluation of Sinamandla and the SHG project of local partner organisations to promote learning and ensure accountability.
- Total transparency in the planning, development and implementation of all programmes and financial management;
- The inclusion of local community-based women from low-income households who wish to participate;
- The founding of new programmes will be based on prevailing traditional practices that entrench an ethos of self-reliant development,wherever appropriate.;
- The empowerment of group members, strengthening of families to ensure the well-being of children and overall community development will be integrated into the programme design;
- The commitment to uphold a rights-based approach in all aspects of the organisation's work.
Photos taken by the staff of Sinamandla, partner organisations and Elizabeth Donnell Photography unless otherwise stated.